Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of One Orlando Alliance. Membership is limited to nonprofit organizations that provide services to the LGBTQ+ community in Central Florida. Please read about the benefits and responsibilities of membership below.
If you are a business, educational institution or individual and are interested in helping further the mission on One Orlando Alliance by becoming a sponsor or volunteering, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Becoming a Member
The 40+ organizations that are part of the Alliance came together to serve a vital support network to those impacted by the Pulse Night Club tragedy. Within days, local LGBTQ+ organizations and community leaders formed a unified alliance of eighteen LGBTQ+ service organizations who quickly got to work addressing the needs of those impacted by the tragedy. For the first time in Orlando’s history, nearly all of the LGBTQ+ organizations worked in a collaborative and transparent way to serve those affected – survivors, victim’s families, Pulse employees, and the larger community also struggling with trauma, grief, and fear.
While the LGBTQ+ organizations of One Orlando Alliance initially came together to honor and support those directly impacted by the Pulse tragedy, we look now to the future. The lives lost on that tragic day will never be forgotten, and our efforts will always and foremost be to support those still impacted by Pulse. But as we look to the future, we see that our collective voice has the power to shape Central Florida into an inclusive and welcoming community for all.
From tragedy has come unity, and every action that we take is to support and improve the effectiveness of the organizations that serve our LGBTQ+ community. Our goal is to lower barriers, provide critical communication, and promote effective, influential, and sustainable opportunities for transforming the culture of the region. We understand transformative change in attitudes and behaviors begins with an unwavering commitment to bettering the welfare of all. We achieve this by fostering a deep respect for one another and ensuring inclusiveness within our diverse population.
Membership in the One Orlando Alliance is an invaluable tool that allows us to raise our collective voices and advocate for the rights the LGBTQ+ community. Benefits of membership can include:
- Enlarges your base of support, networks and connections; gives strength in numbers: you can achieve more together than you can alone.
- Provides safety for advocacy efforts and protection for members who may not be able to act alone, particularly when operating in a hostile or difficult environment.
- Magnifies existing financial and human resources by pooling them together and by delegating work to others in the coalition.
- Reduces duplication of effort and resources.
- Enhances the credibility and influence of an advocacy campaign, as well as that of individual coalition members.
- Helps develop new leadership skills amongst members.
- Assists in individual and organizational networking.
- Facilitates exchange of information, skills, experience, materials, opportunities for collaboration etc.
- Brings together a diverse range of people and organizations. Diversity can strengthen a campaign by broadening perspective and understanding of the issue. It can also assist outreach by appealing to a wider population base with differing priorities and interests.
- Provides peer support, encouragement, motivation and professional recognition.
The success of the Coalition depends entirely on its members and their willingness to work together cooperatively. As such, each Coalition member is expected to:
- Attendance: Provide an organizational representative at all meetings including conference calls, in-person meetings and town hall meetings.
- Meaningful Engagement: Commit to active engagement and take on tasks as needed to fulfill Coalition initiatives.
- Cooperation: Conduct all business within or on behalf of the Coalition with respect and professionalism. Expectations for all Coalition members include but are not limited to the following:
- Be truthful, transparent and forthright in all communications;
- Respect the rights of other members to hold their own opinions and beliefs;
- Engage in solution-based problem solving;
- Strive for inclusivity in all actions;
- Perform high quality work and complete tasks in a timely manner; and
- Abide by the decision-making processes established by the Coalition.
- Conflict Resolution: Engage in conflict resolution processes if any two or more organizations or individuals experience conflicts that may undermine the success or proper operations of the Coalition.